INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATION PROCESS AND PROCEDURES
To obtain the licensed professional must complete the following:
- Complete and pass a course in “teaching techniques” at a post-secondary educational level.
- Pass the NIC Instructor Written Examination by a minimum scaled score of 80.00. The administration of the Computer Based Testing (CBT) written examination applications are processed by D.L. Roope Administrations Inc. and are administered at Iso-Quality Testing testing centers.
- Pass the West Virginia State Law Examination by a minimum scaled score of 80.00. The administration of the Computer Based Testing (CBT) West Virginia State Law examination applications are also processed by D.L. Roope Administrations Inc. and are administered at Iso-Quality Testing testing centers.
- Complete the application for Instructor Certification and submit to the West Virginia State Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists (WVBBC).
Instructions on Completing a Course in “Teaching Techniques” at a Post-Secondary Educational level
Should you wish to complete a 2-Day Teaching Techniques Seminar which will consist of practical instruction administered by WVU Tech, Department of Career Technical Education, please complete the following:
- Contact Mr. Richard Yocke, Teaching Associate Professor associated with WVU Tech, Department of Career Technical Education by email at Richard.Yocke@mail.wvu.edu
- Provide the following information: Name, Address, Phone, and email.
- Mr. Yocke will confirm your registration and will provide you with information and materials to assist in the preparation of the 2-day seminar.
- If you have any questions regarding the 2-Day Teaching Techniques Seminar, please contact Mr. Yocke by email or cell at 304-544-9990.
Information and Details of the 2-Day Teaching Techniques Seminar administered by WVU Tech
- The seminar will be conducted from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM on Monday and 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM Tuesday.
- During the seminar you will receive instruction on the theoretical background and skills essential for success as an educator. You receive an overview of teaching methods, learning styles, lesson planning, equity and diversity in the classroom, mandated reporting, and legal and ethical issues.
- All participants will present a 10-12 minute Simulated Lesson that could be a presentation of information on the participant’s field or a demonstration of a specific skill.
- There will be a minimal registration fee for the seminar. That cost will be determined by the Department of CTE.
Days Inn Suites and Conference Center; 350 Days Drive, Sutton, WV 26601
Approved Online Teaching Techniques Courses
Should you wish to complete the teaching techniques course online, please complete one of the following approved online courses:
|PROVIDER||WEB ADDRESS||REQUIRED HOURS||PROVIDER PHONE||INSTRUCTIONS|
|MILADY||https://milady.cengage.com/instructor-training||16||(518) 348-2432||User may complete any of the 18 courses located under the “Online Instructor Training” section. User must complete a minimum of 16 hours|
|PIVOT POINT||https://www.learnaboutbeauty.com ||16||(847) 866-0500||User MUST be a member/student of a school that uses Pivot Point education online. Using the username and password received from a school, the user will select the “Learn” tab and select “Mindful Teaching Pro”. User may complete any of the 58 courses listed but must complete a minimum of 16 hours|
Information on registering for the NIC Instructor Written Examination and the West Virginia State Law Examination
- You may register for the examinations online at http://www.dlroope.com/west_virginia.cfm?state=7. When your application is approved you will receive an e-mail from Iso Quality Testing with pre-registration information for the CBT examination(s). Your e-mail address must be used only by you to ensure proper delivery of your pre-registration information. The NIC Instructor Written and the West Virginia State Law examinations will be administered via Computer Base Testing (CBT) as of January 1, 2019. They will be offered at Iso-Quality Testing (IQT) Centers in South Charleston, Wheeling and Princeton. Candidates may apply to test at any IQT Testing Center in any state if that is more convenient for the individual
- The NIC Instructor Written examination has questions that pertain to: Instructional Methods, Instructional Planning & Classroom/Clinic Management. For information on this examination, please click on the following link for scope of the examination:
- The West Virginia State Law examination will assess that the applicant has knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations that govern the profession. For information on study materials, please click on the link below:
Applying for your Instructor Certification
- Once you have passed the examinations and completed a teaching techniques course at a post-secondary educational level, you will submit an Instructor Certification application along with all the required information that is listed on the application to WVBBC; 1201 Dunbar Avenue, Dunbar, WV 25064. To access the Instructor Certification application, please click on the link below: