TRANSFER LICENSE TO WV
Transferring a license (also known as Reciprocity) to West Virginia is a detailed process that requires accurate and official documentation.
Applicants from NIC (National Interstate Council) states that required examinations for licensure to include the NIC national written and practical may sit for the West Virginia State Law exam quickly after the Board office reviews their application and supporting documentation for reciprocity.
The current NIC states are: AL, AZ, AR, DE, GA, ID, ME, MO, NH, NC, NV, OH, PA, SC, SD, UT, AND WY.
Applications from non-NIC states are still eligible for reciprocity, however, the members of the Board must review your application on a case-by-case scenario. This process takes longer than NIC states. Once the Board reviews your application, you will immediately be scheduled for the State Law Exam.
INFO: West Virginia does not accept reciprocity from the State of California.
NOTE: West Virginia does not accept reciprocity or transfer of license for Manicurists/ Nail Technicians. This profession must take and pass a practical examination, West Virginia state law, and the National Written examination.
The following steps are required to transfer a license to West Virginia.
- Complete the required information in the Reciprocity Packet. Transfer License to West Virginia (Reciprocity Application).pdf. Contact the State Board you are licensed in and request a license certification sent from the Board's office to the West Virginia State Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists. Some states may take up to 4-6 weeks to process your request, so it is important to ensure your state sends the license certificate to our office before the board meeting. No applicant will be considered without proper documentation.
- Gather all required documents and attach with Reciprocity Packet.
- Submit Reciprocity Packet and required documents to the West Virginia State Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists.
- The Board office will contact you concerning your application within a week and a half after receipt.
- If the application is approved, a time will be set to take the WV State Law Exam.
*Please note that West Virginia does not require a licensed person to place their current state license on inactive to become eligible for licensure.